Nigerian attacker Emmanuel Dennis played big role in Club Brugge’s UEFA Champions League victory against Zenith Saint Petersburg on Wednesday.

Dennis provided an assist as Club Brugge pummeled Zenit 3 -0 at the Jan Breydel Stadion to stay in contention for round of 16 spot.

 

The Super Eagles striker made a return to the competition after he was left out of last week’s defeat against Borussia Dortmund due to disciplinary issues.

 

Dennis set up Noa Lang for Club Brugge’s third and final goal 17 minutes from time.

 

Charles De Ketelaere and Hans Vanaken scored the other two goals in the 33rd and 58th minutes respectively.

 

David Okereke also played for Club Brugge, but he tasted actions for the final two minutes.

 

The victory moved Club Brugge to 3rd in Group F with seven points, just two points behind second placed Lazio.

 

Club Brugge will travel to Lazio for the final game of the group and winner of the match will seal qualification to the next round.

The post Dennis Emmanuel marks Champions League return with an assist for Club Brugge appeared first on Latest Sports News In Nigeria.

Read more Comments Off on Dennis Emmanuel marks Champions League return with an assist for Club Brugge
Chairman of Adamawa Queens Emmanuel Zira has revealed how internal wrangling led to the demotion of the state’s women Football club from the Nigeria women Premier league.

Zira cited a number of bickering between the ministry of sports in the state opposing the Governor’s directive to have him administer and run the men and the women team in the state.
Zira speaking in a chat with Brila.net said the board of the Nigeria women Football League had been gracious enough to have extended the deadline for registration and club licensing, but since he was prevented from administering the club by the ministry of sports in Adamawa state and the ministry unable to come up with the funds to complete the registration and licensing, the club missed out and hence subsequently thrown out of the top tier women’s league alongside Heartland Queens.

The post Zira reveals how internal wrangling led to Adamawa Queens demotion from NWPL appeared first on Latest Sports News In Nigeria.

Read more Comments Off on Zira reveals how internal wrangling led to Adamawa Queens demotion from NWPL
Former Falcons and Rivers Angels coach Edwin Okon has stated that he is hopeful that the Nigeria women Premier League season starts as planned on the 9th of December 2020 after the women’s league board conducted a new league fixture for the season on Wednesday.

Okon speaking in a chat with brila.net couldn’t hide his expectation and joy at finally getting closer to the commencement of a new league season after having been out for so many months without Football.
He also said the imminent return of the women’s league for next week is a welcome idea.

The post Excited Okon hopes women’s league return as planned for 9th Dec 2020 appeared first on Latest Sports News In Nigeria.

Read more Comments Off on Excited Okon hopes women’s league return as planned for 9th Dec 2020

Forward Odion Jude Ighalo finally made his UEFA Champions League debut on Wednesday for Manchester United.

Ighalo, 32, began his European career in 2006 and played for clubs in Norway, Italy, Spain and England, but never featured in the elite football competition until last night.

 

The Forward came on as a late substitute in the clash against Paris Saint German at Old Trafford.

 

Ighalo replaced Aaron Wan Bissaka with Manchester United trailing 3-1, on the night Neymar and his compatriot Marquinhos ran riot at Old Trafford.

 

The Brazilian attacker scored twice, while Marquinhos scored the other goal for Thomas Tuchel’s side.

 

English striker Marcus Rashford scored his side’s only goal on the night they needed just a point to seal passage to next round.

The post Manchester United manager Solskjaer hands Ighalo Champions League Cameo appeared first on Latest Sports News In Nigeria.

Read more Comments Off on Manchester United manager Solskjaer hands Ighalo Champions League Cameo
Former Nigeria international Godwin Okpara has urged national team players and Nigerian players abroad to approach invitation and outings for the national team as they will normally do at their clubs where they are known to give their all.

Okpara speaking in a chat with brila.net said many times Nigerian players fell short in the national team not out of lack of quality or talent but out of the approach these players have towards national team invitations.
He added that once players are able to replicate club form at the national team, the national team will become better and command the respects expected of them.

The post Okpara task Eagles players to approach national team outings as for their clubs appeared first on Latest Sports News In Nigeria.

Read more Comments Off on Okpara task Eagles players to approach national team outings as for their clubs
Plateau united player Charles Henlong has stated that the Jos based side have an easier task before them going into the second leg of their crunch away tie to Tanzanian side Simba SC this weekend despite losing at home in the first leg.

Henlong speaking in a chat with brila.net ahead of the team’s departure for Tanzania later this afternoon said the team is better equipped to face the Tanzanian side now than ever before having played against them, unlike the first leg meeting where the team only had short videos of what the Simba side looked like and eventually got shocked.
He added that he believes the task is easier for them now despite the setback of the first-leg loss.

The post Plateau United’s task at Simba easier than first leg – Henlong appeared first on Latest Sports News In Nigeria.

Read more Comments Off on Plateau United’s task at Simba easier than first leg – Henlong

Henry Onyekuru has been linked with a third spell to Turkish Super Lig side, Galatasaray when the winter transfer window kicks off for business in January.

Onyekuru has struggled to play regularly for AS Monaco so far this season because coach, Niko Kovac has not been impressed with his progress since making a return.

 

So far during the 2020/21 Ligue 1 campaign, Onyekuru has made only four appearances for the Principality Monaco, but has started only twice.

 

The Nigeria international however last took part in a French top-flight game for Monaco on September 19 at Rennes and has just one goal contribution.

 

 

Monaco’s previous two coaches, Leonardo Jardim and Robert Moreno did not also rate the former KAS Eupen of Belgium attacker and has been loaned out to Galatasaray twice previously.

 

And reports coming out of Turkey have suggested that Galatasaray coach, Fathi Terim’s first goal during the January transfer window is to land the services of Onyekuru on loan.

 

 

Having spent the second part of last season away at Galatasaray, a third stint with the former Super Lig champions could be on the cards for the winger according to Fanatik.com.

 

 

In his first spell at Galatasaray, the 23-year-old helped them to a league and cup double. He registered 16 goals and 6 assists in 44 games.

The post AS Monaco’s Henry Onyekuru linked with Third Loan Spell to Galatasaray appeared first on Latest Sports News In Nigeria.

Read more Comments Off on AS Monaco’s Henry Onyekuru linked with Third Loan Spell to Galatasaray
Liverpool v Ajax - UEFA Champions League
Photo by Richard Sellers/Soccrates/Getty Images

Even in past seasons, Jürgen Klopp would have him train at centre half on occasion—a choice that’s now paying off.

When the Reds went into the 2020-21 season with midfielder stalwart Fabinho doubling as fourth-choice on the centre half depth chart, many were skeptical. However, since then—and since a season-ending injury to star Virgil van Dijk—he has impressed in the role.

And according to the player, it’s a move that Jürgen Klopp may well have been preparing for—at least on an emergency basis—since he arrived at the club in 2018. That’s because ever since his arrival on Merseyside, he’s been taking regular reps at centre half in training.

“My debut as a [centre half] was here at Liverpool,” Fabinho told Esporte Interativo. “Since then I always do some training, especially when one or two injuries occur. We never know when we will need it, but the coach has already prepared for this since my first season.

“I always tried to learn a lot from the other defenders, too. Now my companion has been Joel Matip, and the communication works very well with him and with the players around me. It’s a difficult situation about injuries, so I’ve been playing in that position lately.”

Part of the surprise at the club going into the season with Fabinho as fourth choice on the centre half depth chart was due to some of his earlier emergency outings at the position not going entirely smoothly. The work he’s put in to improve, though, has been clear.

Now, the question is less whether he’s good enough to regularly play the position for a side looking to challenge for top domestic and European honours—and more whether he and partner Matip can stay fit with both Van Dijk as well as Joe Gomez out for the season.

Read more Comments Off on Fabinho Reveals He Has Been Training to Play Centre Half Since Joining Liverpool
Liverpool v Ajax - UEFA Champions League
Photo by Richard Sellers/Soccrates/Getty Images

The Liverpool captain was full of praise for the club’s youngsters following Tuesday’s important European result.

Between their lengthy injury list and some disappointing results, it’s sometimes felt as though it’s been a difficult couple of weeks for Liverpool. Look at the table, though, and it’s hard to complain.

Level on points at the top of the league and, following a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Ajax on Tuesday, having now secured first place in their Champions League group with a game still left to go.

“I’m really delighted with the performance and the character of the team with the setback of injuries that we’ve had of late,” was captain Jordan Henderson’s reaction following their European clinch.

“To keep fighting and to get the three points and win the group is massive for us, so I’m delighted with that. No matter [who] manages to play in the game, they give absolutely everything.”

On this occasion, with all the injuries, there was a heavy youth involvement, with recent academy stars Caoimhin Kelleher, Neco Williams, and Curtis Jones all playing key roles in Tuesday’s victory.

“We’ve got some fantastic players,” Henderson added. “Especially the young players who again showed the quality to get us the three points. Outstanding, some of the saves [Kelleher] made, important saves.

“I’m delighted for Curt because he’s worked really hard. He deserved his goal. [And] a great ball from Neco—I thought he overhit it, but it was a fantastic ball in the end. So I’m delighted for both of them.”

Read more Comments Off on Jordan Henderson “Delighted” by Liverpool Academy Graduates Following Ajax Victory
Liverpool FC v Atalanta BC: Group D - UEFA Champions League
Photo by Simon Stacpoole/Offside/Offside via Getty Images

There will be 2,000 fans at Anfield on Sunday, with 1,500 of them on the Kop.

On Sunday, for the first time since the 11th of March, there will be fans at Anfield for a Liverpool match, as the club are set to have 2,000 supporters in attendance for the Premier League game against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Over the past few days, details have emerged for how everything will move forward, with a ticket ballot open to fans in Liverpool who are either current season ticket holders or club members who earned at least 19 league credits during the 2018-19 season.

With demand expected to exceed supply, the club has further determined supporters who gain a ticket the Wolves game will not be eligible for future ticket ballots until everyone who applies for this one has had the chance to attend a live match.

Fans will be required to wear masks while in the stadium and to maintain social distancing. In order to do the latter seating will inevitably be will spaced out—but, as per the latest news, it will largely be on the Kop in spite of this.

Of the 2,000 supporters who will be allowed to attend the match on Sunday due to Liverpool’s current Tier 2 status, 1,500 will be on the Kop—which is today having its banners removed—and the remaining 500 will be sat in the main stand.

No fans will be seated in the Sir Kenny Dalglish stand or the Anfield Road End. If all goes well with fans returning to stadiums around England this weekend, the next game with fans at Anfield would be Wednesday, December 16th against Tottenham.

Read more Comments Off on Details Emerge as Fans Set to Return to Anfield for Wolves Match
en_USEnglish
en_USEnglish